200g red split lentils
450ml vegetable stock
150g raw mixed nuts (preferably not peanuts)
2 tbsp Wing Yip Pure Sesame Oil
2 tsp Wing Yip Superior Light Soy Sauce
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 medium carrot, grated
3 medium tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped
125g Panko Breadcrumbs
100g vegetarian hard cheese, grated
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Rinse the lentils under cold water and then place into a pan with the vegetable stock and 1 tsp soy sauce. Bring to the boil and then gently simmer covered for 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Stir occasionally to ensure that the lentils do not stick to the pan.
2. Whilst the lentils are cooking, toast the nuts in a non-stick pan until lightly coloured making sure not to burn them. Roughly chop and set aside.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 190c and line a 1.4 litre loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
4. Add the sesame oil to the frying pan and cook the onion over a moderate heat for 5 minutes until they are translucent and lightly coloured. Add the garlic, carrots, tomatoes and remaining soy sauce to the pan. Cook gently for a further 5 minutes.
5. Place the lentils and vegetables into a mixing bowl and stir in the nuts, panko breadcrumbs, chopped coriander, cheese and lastly the egg. Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Spoon into the loaf tin and level with the back of a spoon. Top with a lightly oiled piece of foil. Bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil and then bake for a further 40 minutes.
7. Leave to cool inside the tin for 10 minutes before trying to remove it. Slice and serve with vegetables