3kg unsmoked boneless gammon or ham joint
2 celery stalks
1tsp whole Szechuan peppercorns
1 jar 250ml Wing Yip Plum Sauce
1. Rinse gammon joint under cold water and place into a large lidded saucepan and completely submerge in cold water.
2. Roughly chop the onions, carrots and celery sticks into 3 or 4 pieces and add to the saucepan along with the peppercorns.
3. Bring to the boil and then gently simmer for 2 hours (around 20 minutes per 500g).
4. If cooking in advance leave the gammon joint to cool completely in the cooking liquid. If cooking straight away, remove the gammon from the cooking liquid and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes. Strain the cooking liquid and reserve for future use.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C and line a large roasting tin with foil.
6. Carefully remove the skin from the joint leaving an even layer of fat. With a small sharp knife, score the fat into a diamond pattern ensuring that you do not score the meat.
7. Place fat side up in the lined baking tray and brush half of the jar of Plum Sauce over the whole gammon. Place into the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes or until the glaze has started to brown. Remove the joint from the oven and brush the remaining Plum Sauce over the gammon and return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes until the glaze has turned brown.
8. Once removed from the oven, loosely cover with foil and leave to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving. Spoon any juices over the gammon before carving.