Crispy Scallop and Prawn Balls
750g raw prawns
1 tbsp dashi stock
2 egg whites, half beaten
2/3 tbspz corn flour
Pinch of salt
150g raw scallops
1 sliced red chilli
2 tsp chopped coriander
1 tsp Wing Yip Superior Dark Soy sauce
1 tbsp Sake
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp Mai Siam Thai Fish Sauce
1 tsp ginger powder
Sticky Aromatic Sauce
175g caster sugar
200ml Wing Yip Superior Light Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Wing Yip Shao Hsing Wine
50g Mai Siam Thai Palm Sugar
50ml malt vinegar
50ml Mai Siam Thai Fish Sauce
1 clove garlic
½ stalk of lemon grass
30g peeled ginger
2 red chilli, split
70g Wing Yip Ginger and Spring Onion Stir-Fry Sauce
1. Pre heat deep fat fryer to 180˚C
2. Mix prawns, dashi stock, egg white, corn flour and salt. Blend them together in a blender add the rest of the ingredients and blend again.
3. Turn out of blender into a bowl and begin to roll the mixture into 4 cm balls.
4. Deep fry until golden brown, remove and season with salt and ginger.
For the sauce:
1. Put all ingredients except for the ginger and spring onion sauce into a pan and simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes or until the mix coats the back of a spoon. Once at the right consistency finish with the ginger and spring onion sauce.
2. Leave to cool and serve with the warm prawn and scallop balls.
3. To make into a main course serve with a bowl of steamed Mai Siam Thai rice.