40g dry rice vermicelli noodles
75g raw prawns, de-shelled and de-veined if necessary
125g pork belly, minced or finely chopped
40g red cabbage, thinly sliced
40g carrot, finely shredded (julienne)
1-2 tbsp Mai Siam Thai Red Curry Paste
4-5 x 22cm rice paper wrappers
Oil for frying
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbspz Mai Siam Fish Sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 fresh lime, to taste
1. Soak the vermicelli noodles in hot water for 1-2 minutes until softened and then drain. Rinse with cold water to stop any further cooking, and then using a pair of scissors lightly cut through the noodles to make them easier to handle.
2. Roughly chop the prawns and place into a bowl with the pork belly, red cabbage, beansprouts and carrot. Add the cooked vermicelli noodles and mix well.
3. Start by adding 1 tbsp of the curry paste, however if you want your spring rolls a bit spicier add up to 1 more tbsp. of the paste. Mix well until the paste is completely incorporated.
4. On a clean surface lay out one rice paper wrapper and then using a damp cloth rub the wrapper to soften. This will ensure that the wrapper does not get too soft and therefore un-usable.
5. Place 2-3 tbsp of the filling near one edge of the wrapper and then fold over the filling and press down lightly to ensure that there is no air trapped inside. You are looking for the wrapper to be quite full so add more filling if necessary.
6. Roll the filling to the centre of the wrapper and then fold over both sides ensuring that the filling is tightly in the wrapper.
7. Continue to roll the filling until you reach the other end of the spring roll wrapper and using a little bit of water, lightly seal the spring roll.
8. Place onto a clean plate and continue to make the remaining spring rolls.
9. Heat the oil either in a large pan, or in a deep fryer over a medium-high heat and then carefully place the spring rolls in, cooking in batches if necessary. Cook for 4-5 minutes and then drain on kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
10. To make the dipping sauce mix all ingredients together and season with the lime adding to your preference.
11. Serve the spring rolls with the dipping sauce and a small garnish of finely shredded lettuce and carrot.