1 seabass (approx 750g) or 454g cod, salmon or halibut steaks
4 tbsp Wing Yip Shaohsing Wine
5-6cm fresh root ginger - peeled and finely shredded
2 spring onions - finely shredded and soaked in cold water
1 whole star anise
2 tsp Wing Yip Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Wing Yip Light Soy Sauce
1. Clean and dry the seabass or fish steaks. Rub 1 tsp of Sesame Oil over the fish and stuff the head and body cavity with half of the shredded ginger and the whole star anise.
2. Place a rack in a wok or deep pan and fill to about 5cm depth of water. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer.
3. Place the fish on a heatproof plate then pour over the Shaohsing Wine and Light Soy Sauce. Cover with foil and place in the steamer.
4. Steam the whole fish for approximately 15-20 minutes, less for steaks.
5. Garnish with spring onion curls, the remaining fresh shredded ginger and sesame oil then serve immediately.
Hints and tips: Steaming with wine and fresh ginger enhances the subtle sweetness of the fish. Remove the scales by scraping toward the head of the fish with a sharp knife. To test if the fish is cooked, press the flesh with a fork or chopsticks to see if the fish is flaky.